Saturday, August 27, 2005

KATRINA UPDATE

Well I'm all boarded up. Tomorrow I'll pack up the family and head out.

Mayor Nagen is on WWL TV right now. He says someone at the NHC called him up to tell him that this storm - KATRINA - is exactly the storm that everyone has been fearing for so long. 20-25 foot storm surge (most of the levys were built to 15 feet - but most all have settled a few feet over the years - probably only 12 feet high in most places now).

Mayor Nagen now says that tomorrow he will probably announce the FIRST mandatory evacuation in the history of New Orleans. A mando evac has been scoffed at in the past because many of the folks in NOLA have no transportation - no way to leave. However, apparently the Mayor thinks ordering the evac will help in some measure.

Could be up to 18-20 feet of water in downtown NOLA after the storm passes. It will take WEEKS to pump that amount of water out of the city. Additionally, it will be a hazardous waste nightmare. Only hope now is if the storm turns or greatly detensifies. It would be nice if this thing would speed up too.

I live in a brand new house, in a brand new subdivision. I have about zero confidence that this house will be standing on Tuesday morning. Katrina's eye is predicted to run right over it. I would have more confidence except I've seen how they build these houses. I wish LA had the same building codes as FL does - but we don't. The houses here are built pretty much like crap.

2 comments:

Mauser*Girl said...

I hope you'll be alright and that you'll find your house in the same place when you get back.

We went through Isabel in Newport News and it was a lot less bad than they thought it would be. So there's hope this one won't be, either.

Good luck.

Mauser*Girl said...

I hope things are alright for you. Drop a note if you get a chance. You may not get a lot of commenters, but trust me, there are people out here who are wondering if you're alright.