Thursday, December 29, 2005

I RETIRE FROM THE U.S. NAVY

Well, after 24 years in the USN - I officially retire effective 28 February. I'm actually on terminal leave right now - which means I've worn the uniform already for the last time. Feels a little strange. I haven't gotten a haircut in awhile and I don't shave every single day - I've opted the "every other day" strategy (which is unacceptable in the Navy).

I'm working as a consultant right now and the money is certainly sweet (especially since I'm still drawing my Navy check too!). I calculated that I'm making over $150K per year right now - of course, that will only last until my Navy paycheck runs out at the end of February and at that time, I'll only be making about $5K more than my Navy paycheck was - but hey, it's a raise right?!!

I joined the Navy in 1982 and went from E1 to E9 in 14 years - not many can say they did that. I also served as a submarine Chief of the Boat and did two tours as a Command Master Chief - one aboard an Aegis Cruiser that saw duty in both the Iraq and Afghan wars. I served at the White House for six months of (senior) Bush's presidency and for two and half years of Slick Willie's. I've been a crewmember of the World's Deepest Diving Submarine, and served on a Nuclear Fast Attack Sub that played many cat and mouse games with our old adversaries, the Soviets, during the Cold War.

It's been a very good run.

It would have been longer had it not been for Hurricane Katrina. You see, in the Navy, you have to pretty much move every 3 or 4 years. When you have a flooded house with no flood insurance - you CAN'T MOVE without going bankrupt. Additionally, as a Command Master Chief - I worked at the pleasure of my Commanding Officer - and the skipper and I had a major falling out after the storm about some policy decisions that I felt didn't take care of our Sailors. Nothing against Charlie Oscar - the skipper is the one at the helm but I just couldn't support a skipper making those kinds of decisions. When presented the opportunity to exit the scene - I took it. Nothing against the CO, when BIBLICAL events like Katrina occur - BIBLICAL decisions have to be made that really impact people's lives. I disagreed with the decisions - but don't disagree with the right of the CO to make them. I could have asked for a transfer - but with a flooded house - where else could the Navy send me where I wouldn't have to pay rent or another mortgage?

So now, here I am as a civilian. Man, life sure is differnt. First of all - like I said - I don't have to shave everyday. However, I DO have to pick out something to wear - can't wear the same thing everyday like the uniform days.

At my civvie job - I don't have 20 people tracking my action items. I get a "due date" on a project and people leave me alone until that due date. When I deliver the job to them completed - I get a Thanks! If it's not delivered on time - then I suppose that they would get upset but as long as I perform - life is great. A far cry from my Navy days where everyone is "tickled" for an action item five minutes after it's assigned. My boss gets a little rattled whenever I call her "Ma'am" - she prefers me to use her first name. This takes some getting used to. But it's kinda cool too.

So off I go!

I'll miss not wearing the uniform. I really wanted to remain until we put the nails in the coffins of every Islamo-fascist terrorist out there. Don't know about you - but I genuinely HATE those guys. My memories about 9-11 are still fresh. I wish death on the whole lot of them and I regret I'm not going to be standing over the body of the last one we kill. But let me tell you - these kids in uniform these days ... these kids who are fighting for YOUR right to exist over in Iraq and Afghanistan - these kids HAVE IT!! They are every bit as good as our grandfathers and grandmothers who saved this world from Nazi fascism over 50 years ago. Never thought I'd say that - but by God - it's true. Support them and they will do you proud. They will make YOU the next "Greatest Generation".

So goodbye Globar War on Terror and Hello to the battle of rebuilding New Orleans. However, no matter what anyone in the U.S. thinks - I firmly believe that the battle for New Orleans is a worthy one - and one that will impact our Nation's survival. I think I can pour every bit of passion I had for the Navy into that effort.

So off into my new life as a civilian I go!

No comments: