Thursday, September 22, 2005

DOW: WASHINGTON ST. TAMMANY ELECTRIC

My "Doofus of the Week" this week is ...

WASHINGTON ST. TAMMANY ELECTRIC (WSTE)

Folks, I thought those of us who live in Southeast Louisiana were trying to REBUILD our communities?

Shortly after KATRINA flooded my home, I immediately went to work to fix the damage. After gutting the house - I repaired the whole electrical system myself and I've tested it - it's good ... it's ready for power.

The State of Louisiana requires that flooded homes be inspected by a licensed Electrician before power can be restored to them. That's reasonable to me and my Electrician is inspecting me on Saturday. Of course, he wants $135 bucks just to do a "look see" - that's not so reasonable to me but what choice do I have?

Anyway -- the electric company, WSTE, tells my wife today that it matters not when my house is certified safe for power - they aren't going to turn me on until at least FIFTY PERCENT of my neighbors are certified safe and ready for power also!

As I stated in an earlier post - many of my neighbors are working hard to rebuild their homes - with no assistance from anyone - just like I am. However - probably most of my neighbors have abandoned thier homes - and unless FEMA agrees to come to their rescue - they won't come back. So they certainly aren't doing anything to get their electrical systems in shape.

WASHINGTON ST. TAMMANY ELECTRIC IS TURNING IT'S BACK ON US CUSTOMERS WHO ARE SELF-STARTERS. THEY ARE TURNING THEIR BACK ON THE VERY PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SPIRIT TO REBUILD THIS AREA.

What if it takes TWO YEARS before 50% of the homes in my neighborhood are certified safe for power? Are those of us who rolled up our sleeves and got to work to fix our homes supposed to just wait that long?

This is complete BS folks. WSTE told my wife that power is available to my subdivision now - but they aren't going to turn any of us on until the 50% requirement is met. This could take months - if not years. In the meantime - I'm ready for power now.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH NOTHING ... WASHINGTON ST. TAMMANY ELECTRIC!

DOOFUS OF THE WEEK.

1 comment:

Mauser*Girl said...

This is ridiculous. I wish those in charge would read your blog and realize who stupid they are and how they keep putting roadblocks into the recovery.

I think it may be time to write your congressman.